[OE-core] trying to reconcile OE builds with rpm4-format rpm files built on centos 6

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 21 13:14:32 UTC 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Joshua G Lock wrote:

... snip ...

> On the topic of RPM4 vs. RPM5 you should be able to find more
> details in the list archives, I easily found a brief summary by Mark
> Hatle in the Yocto Project mailing list archive:
>
> "There are some specific uses of RPM 4 in the YP, but I do caution
> against people just using it "because".  The RPM 5 version is
> generally better suited for the embedded world.  (There are been
> posts on more reasons on the oe-core lists in the past.  But as
> quick summary -- dynamic architecture support, better cross
> compilation support, cross- endian support, more configurable for
> custom distributions, etc.)"
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.embedded.yocto.general/28654/
>
> We ended up removing RPM4 support because it was clear that it was
> broken when using SMART as a package manager and we didn't have the
> resources to fix it, nor any objections to its removal.

  ah, i was unaware that smart does not play well with RPM4 ... i
think i'd better collect all this info so i can present it in one
shot. i think i'm going to look into the feasibility of installing
RPM5 on that centos build server, unless someone cautions me against
it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca