[OE-core] trying to reconcile OE builds with rpm4-format rpm files built on centos 6

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 21 14:25:40 UTC 2016

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 08:50 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Apr 2016, Burton, Ross wrote:
> >

> > > On 21 April 2016 at 13:06, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
> > > wrote:
> > >         next bit of muttering is, "can we downgrade the OE build to
> > > use
> > >       rpm4-format packages?", which is not a path down which i want
> > > to walk.
> > >

> > > Assuming that the obviously correct option of "build the
> > > packages inside OE" really is being written off for mysterious
> > > reasons, rpm4 was only just removed from oe-core (though
> > > depending on what releases you're using you may have never
> > > noticed it be added and removed again).  So you could just
> > > recover that from history (oe-core
> > > a6e7a86f1635be9a688c56c25e9d215ea4d2cc84 removed it) and fix it
> > > up.
> >
> >   just to be clear, if i can dredge up the recipe for rpm_4, i'm
> > assuming i'd want to specify that i want the "package-management"
> > image feature, as well as stating:
> >
> > PREFERRED_VERSION_rpm = "4.%"
> > PREFERRED_VERSION_rpm-native = "4.%"
> >
> > correct?
>
> Just to confuse things further, you could write an OE recipe which
> took the v4 rpm files from the other system and then simply
> repackaged them into v5 rpms files. Nothing says you *must* compile
> from source, the input could be the v4 rpms.

  great, just what i needed ... yet *another* strategy. in any event,
can i confirm that if i have the recipe for RPM4, i can use
PREFERRED_VERSION to use it for the OE build and, later, to install
RPM4-format rpms built elsewhere?

  also, *if* i build an image based on RPM4, is it feasible (or even
possible) to upgrade the whole thing to RPM5 later? i'm not sure i
even want to think about the grief possibly involved in that.

  thanks muchly.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca