[OE-core] moving OpenEmbedded-core to Python 3

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 25 12:22:11 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

we want to deprecate Python 2 in oe-core and set Python 3 as the
default, preferred choice. What does this mean?

1) Introducing new Python 2 dependencies via new recipes or additional
DEPENDS etc. in existing recipes will be discouraged: you'll have to
provide a reason.

2) Bitbake itself is at the moment Python 2 only - which will be addressed.

3) OE-core recipes that are currently dependent on Python 2 will be
moved to Python 3 whenever possible (e.g. when nothing in oe-core
requires them to be built against python 2). This may break some of your
code, so please do try any patchsets before they land in master (or
stable release), and suggest alternatives.

4) Of course, there is a large mass of Python 2 code out there, which
may never be ported to Python 3, so Python 2 will continue to be
provided at least until it's no longer supported upstream (the current
date is 2020).

I'll prepare an initial patchset for review, so please keep an eye on it.

Thanks,
Alex