[OE-core] About pseudo's chmod

Seebs seebs at seebs.net
Tue Aug 2 19:53:16 UTC 2016

On 2 Aug 2016, at 14:39, Mark Hatle wrote:

> The alternative to the 'ln' is a 'cp' operation.  This is how it used
> to work
> until optimizations were added a few releases ago.  It was observed
> that this
> saves a large amount of space -- but it had the unintended consequence
> of
> suddenly files are now changes as the do_install/do_package processing
> manipulates files and modes change...

Yeah, and I think if we just dropped the copy of permissions, this
would at least temporarily go away.

> I almost wonder if in pseudo we should avoid changing any modes
> internal to the
> file -- until something tries to write to the file.  (Can we even
> capture that
> and try to fix it?  If not, what we're doing is likely the only
> answer.)

I don't think we usefully can.

Hmm.

So it occurs to me, there's only a few cases where we actually have any
reason to make on-filesystem permissions changes at all. Say, execute
bits for executables. Otherwise, we could in theory just not bother
writing
changes to the disk, because the disk permissions are irrelevant.

-s