[OE-core] RFC: eclipse debug functionality issue

Brian Avery avery.brian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:20:40 UTC 2016

The core issue:
The busybox resize command breaks the eclipse ssh debug stream.  This is
because the resize command for busybox sends a set of cursor control escape
sequences to stderr. The resize cfg was added to Krogoth and is still in
master.  The point of resize is to set the environment and terminal
settings to the current xterm window size.

Additional complexity:
eclipse-debug is an IMAGE_FEATURE.  If it is turned on by a user in
local.conf via EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES then I can conditionally turn off
busybox/resize in the cfg file.  Unfortunately, if a user makes a new image
with IMAGE_FEATURES += " eclipse-debug " in it, I do not see this from the
scope of the busybox##.bb recipe.

So, there are a couple of ways to solve this and I'm not sure which is the
best one.

1) conditionally turn off the resize.cfg if eclipse-debug is in
extra-image-features.  Also, make a rm_resize.bbclass to rm the
usr/bin/resize from the rootfs in a do_rootfs[postfuncs] which can be
inherited by the various sdk images we build.

This is problematic since if a user makes a new image recipe of their own
and includes eclipse-debug but doesn't inherit the rm_resize.bbclass
eclipse debug will fail.

2) elevate eclipse-debug to a distro feature which would make it visible to
the busybox###.bb recipe.  Unfortunately, it is really an image specific
set of packages to be included so elevating it doesn't seem reasonable.

3)   use the update-alternatives method (busybox is currently doing this
for syslog) to make a separate busybox-resize package and make an eclipse
friendly resize package that is empty and add the eclipse one to the
eclipse-debug packagegroup.

4) Just turn off resize or patch it so it doesn't try to control the cursor
via escape sequences sent to stderr but still sets up the environment.
It's worth noting that the ubuntu  resize doesn't send escape sequences to
any of the streams.

5) Something else?

Thanks,
Brian