[OE-core] RFC: eclipse debug functionality issue

Max Krummenacher max.oss.09 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 08:58:49 UTC 2016

Hi Brian

Am Donnerstag, den 04.08.2016, 19:49 -0700 schrieb Khem Raj:

> On 8/4/16 2:20 PM, Brian Avery wrote:
> > The core issue:
> > The busybox resize command breaks the eclipse ssh debug stream.
> >  This is
> > because the resize command for busybox sends a set of cursor
> > control
> > escape sequences to stderr. The resize cfg was added to Krogoth and
> > is
> > still in master.  The point of resize is to set the environment and
> > terminal settings to the current xterm window size.
> >
> > Additional complexity:
> > eclipse-debug is an IMAGE_FEATURE.  If it is turned on by a user in
> > local.conf via EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES then I can conditionally turn
> > off
> > busybox/resize in the cfg file.  Unfortunately, if a user makes a
> > new
> > image with IMAGE_FEATURES += " eclipse-debug " in it, I do not see
> > this
> > from the scope of the busybox##.bb recipe.
> >
> > So, there are a couple of ways to solve this and I'm not sure which
> > is
> > the best one.
> >
> > 1) conditionally turn off the resize.cfg if eclipse-debug is in
> > extra-image-features.  Also, make a rm_resize.bbclass to rm the
> > usr/bin/resize from the rootfs in a do_rootfs[postfuncs] which can
> > be
> > inherited by the various sdk images we build.
> >
> > This is problematic since if a user makes a new image recipe of
> > their
> > own and includes eclipse-debug but doesn't inherit the
> > rm_resize.bbclass
> > eclipse debug will fail.
> >
> > 2) elevate eclipse-debug to a distro feature which would make it
> > visible
> > to the busybox###.bb recipe.  Unfortunately, it is really an image
> > specific set of packages to be included so elevating it doesn't
> > seem
> > reasonable.
> >
> > 3)   use the update-alternatives method (busybox is currently doing
> > this
> > for syslog) to make a separate busybox-resize package and make an
> > eclipse friendly resize package that is empty and add the eclipse
> > one to
> > the eclipse-debug packagegroup.
> >
> > 4) Just turn off resize or patch it so it doesn't try to control
> > the
> > cursor via escape sequences sent to stderr but still sets up the
> > environment.  It's worth noting that the ubuntu  resize doesn't
> > send
> > escape sequences to any of the streams.
>
> this seems to be best option.

We fixed this by only executing resize if logging in from a serial
console:

http://git.toradex.com/cgit/meta-toradex.git/commit/?h=V2.6-next&id=9d1
32ea3cf75562ef5610dd6ff1c89d0cffa334d

I guess one could apply the same fix to here
http://cgit.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/tree/meta/recipes-core/b
ase-files/base-files/profile?h=krogoth

Regards
Max