[OE-core] [OE-CORE] Why Pythons default encoding is set to UTF-8?

Kuusela, Simo simo.kuusela at intel.com
Thu Aug 11 08:31:59 UTC 2016

Hi,

I recently ran all of the Pythons unit tests and 13 tests failed because the default encoding wasn't ASCII which is what Python uses by default. I found that in meta/recipes-devtools/python/python/sitecustomize.py there is a line: sys.setdefaultencoding("utf8")

Does anyone know why this has been done? At least I didn't find any commit message or reasoning for it.

Best regards,
Simo Kuusela

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki