[OE-core] weston startup problem

Tom Hochstein tom.hochstein at nxp.com
Wed Aug 24 17:08:22 UTC 2016

Hi All,

The weston systemd startup implementation is not working correctly and I need some help fixing it.

With systemd and pam on the image, the expected behavior is that XDG_RUNTIME_DIR would already be set when weston is launched from weston.service. Turns out XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set, and weston.service sets it itself. This is already a problem, and the problem would be worse except that weston happens to use a different folder. If weston.service is modified to use the same folder name, the folder ends up getting replaced later by pam.

>From looking at the weston-launch code and its pam handling, I thought to try the weston-launch option '--user=root' to force the creation of the pam session. This does seem to help, and I was able to get it mostly working by modifying the openvt args in weston-start, removing -e and adding -w:

openvt -v -s -w -- weston-launch --user=root -- --modules=xwayland.so --log=/var/log/weston.log

The problem I have now is that keyboard input goes to both weston and the desktop. I tried with and without the -s option, and there is no difference.

I'm stuck at this point and would appreciate some help.

Tom