[OE-core] how can i add u-boot-fw-utils to my build without u-boot being part of the build?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Aug 25 10:51:55 UTC 2016

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Javier Viguera wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 21/08/16 17:51, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   i apologize for being clueless, but i'm still unclear on what i
> > need to do here, and in my case, i'm going in the opposite
> > direction.
> >
> >   currently, u-boot is being configured and compiled standalone --
> > not as part of OE. and that build works just fine, so i can grab
> > whatever (little?) i need from that build to then add to an actual
> > OE build so i can just add u-boot-fw-utils to an existing image.
> >
> >   as i read it, for an OE build of u-boot, i need to supply either
> > UBOOT_MACHINE or UBOOT_CONFIG. so in this case, what would i do?
> > my assumption until now is that i need to add to the OE build just
> > enough to get the fw utils to build, and i'd do that by setting
> > either of those variables. and i already have the appropriate
> > fw_env.config file ready to go.
> >
> >   so what precisely do i need to do here?
>
> Have you tried to override UBOOT_CONFIG in a u-boot-fw-utils
> bbappend?

  i did figure out a while back that i needed to set at least one of
UBOOT_MACHINE or UBOOT_CONFIG, and since i couldn't set the former,
clearly, i needed to figure out how to set the latter, i just didn't
know what was supposed to go into it. am i just missing it, or is
there an actual example of what would go into a UBOOT_CONFIG variable?

> Have a look at how we do that (using sandbox_defconfig) in
> meta-digi-arm:
>
> https://github.com/digi-embedded/meta-digi/blob/jethro/meta-digi-arm/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-fw-utils_%25.bbappend
>
> Hope this helps.

  ok, will check that out later today, thanks. is there, in fact, any
OE/YP documentation that shows a detailed example of how to do that?
i'm fairly familiar with the OE/YP manuals, but i don't recall
tripping over anything like that.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca