[OE-core] [Openembedded-architecture] RFC BuildAppliance future

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:42:00 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Brian Avery <avery.brian at gmail.com> wrote:
>   Please note, this is going out to 3 lists in an attempt to insure that no
> one who would be impacted by this change misses it. Implied spam apology
> included.
>
>   The Yocto Project currently provides a virtual machine image called the
> Build Appliance
> (https://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/yocto/yocto-2.2/build-appliance/).
> This image can be run using either VirtualBox or VMware. It enables you to
> build and boot a custom embedded Linux image with the Yocto Project on a
> non-Linux development system.  It is not intended for day to day development
> use, but instead, is intended to allow users to “try out” the tools even if
> they do not have access to a Linux system.
>
>   We are considering replacing the VM based Build Appliance with a set of
> containers (https://hub.docker.com/r/crops/poky/, or if you want a user
> interface (https://hub.docker.com/r/crops/toaster-master/ ).  These
> containers currently provide most of the functionality of the Build
> Appliance and should shortly be at feature parity with the Build Appliance.
> We are actively adding to and supporting the containers as some of our
> developers are using them in their day to day development in order to
> benefit from the host isolation and ease with which other distributions can
> be tested.
>
>   This is an RFC to see what features in the Build Appliance are important
> to you but would not be provided by the container solutions.  If the
> community would be just as content using the container approach as using the
> VM based Build Appliance image, then we’d be better off deprecating the
> Build Appliance and applying those resources elsewhere.  If there are
> important features the Build Appliance provides which the container solution
> does not, or cannot provide, we’d love to hear what they are!

Personally, I dont use build appliance but I think using containers is a good
step forward, provided, we can address all build host OSes that
virtual appliance
could.

Build appliance is also a sort of "eat your own dog-food" for ensuring that we
are doing ok on preparing cloud images for deployment. Hopefully we wont
lose that testing, may be we can add another image to cover that.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,