[OE-core] opinions on enabling busybox's "runit" implementation to control some services?

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Thu Dec 15 15:43:17 UTC 2016

Robert,

I have not, but this last year I was looking into what it'd take to use Busybox's runit as an alternative to SysVinit.  I didn't do a complete code comparison, but Busybox's runit seems to be the same as the upstream package minus all the code that is not needed because it is present elsewhere in Busybox.  I couldn't figure out how to setup the image to use runit for init before I got pulled onto other tasks.

> 2) is runit actually necessary, or would it be easy to migrate said services off
> of runit?

The official runit site has tons of init examples for different services and has a brief explanation on how to change a SysVInit init script to work for runit.  I haven't done it myself, but I don't think it'd be that much work to go the other way.

>   i've never used runit, so have no idea what it is that makes it so
> (allegedly) indispensable. if it's easily migrateable, that'd be great.

It's small and simple.  Start services I parallel, monitor to make sure they are still running, and restart as necessary.  Done.  I like the idea of its simplicity and I'm interested in seeing if it works as well as it says it does.

If you figure out how to get runit as the system's init, I'd love to give it a try myself.

Regards,
Bryan