[OE-core] Deprecating hddimg/isoimg

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Tue Dec 20 20:23:27 UTC 2016

Folks,

For years we have wanted to get rid of the hddimg/iso type, we now have
the WIC tool integrated into OE-Core such that we can build properly
partitioned disk images.

Historically the hddimg was a single FAT filesystem that contained
boot-loader, the kernel and a rootfs.img file for booting Intel Arch
machines. This has a 4G limit due to the FAT limitations and we are
starting to see this limit hit more frequently.

Are there any other usages out there that we are not aware of?

Any reasons that this should not get deprecated at this time?

Sau!