[OE-core] Broadcom firmware alternatives

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Dec 21 23:05:29 UTC 2016

On 21 December 2016 at 22:25, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

> arent they for different chipsets ? if they are not supersets then
> they should be able to
> live together.

Yes. they're different chipsets.

>From https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/brcm80211:

In kernel priors to v3.13 the SDIO driver used generic firmware names.
> Below are the instruction Use the nvram file installed in your system and
> copy it to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac-sdio.txt The firmware can be found
> in the linux-firmware repository.
> For 4329: cp brcm/brcmfmac4329.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac-sdio.bin
> For 4330: cp brcm/brcmfmac4330.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac-sdio.bin

Which makes me think that the non-versioned name was used by older drivers
for *all* chipsets, and you had to know what chipset you had to create the
right filename.  Modern kernels (post 3.13, January 2014 onwards) use
versioned firmware names so this is all redundant.

Ross