[OE-core] Yocto-2.2 build failures on Ubuntu 14.04.5 & 16.04.x hosts due to crash of unity-settings-daemon followed by restart of lightdm

srikanth krishnakar skrishnakar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 09:41:34 UTC 2016

Hello,

Environment: Ubuntu-14.04.5/16.04.1 (64-bit)
Yocto build: qemuarm
Target image: core-image-sato
Error nature: The lightdm restarts on its own and logs out by killing
processes running and brings up a login UI.

We have been observing yocto-2.2 build failures on Ubuntu 14.04.5 and
Ubuntu-16.04.1 hosts due to restart of "lightdm" (Light Desktop Manager)
 that is triggered by crash of "unity-settings-daemon", we couldn't figure
out any workaround so far to overcome the issue. The build goes fine in the
beginning but eventually the unity desktop logs out and kills all the
processes running in the user session (including bitbake) and lands us into
"Login screen" and when we login its a new session where as the bitbake
running in previous session is killed and we need to continue the build.
This is happening consistently when the user logs into desktop via lightdm
and triggers a build.

Another interesting thing to notice is the build goes fine if we connect to
host via. SSH session and invoke a bitbake build. We are suspecting on
unity-settings-daemon that is crashing consistently and is evident from the
".xsession-errors" log file as shown below:

builder at ubuntu:~$ cat .xsession-errors.old
Script for ibus started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.
init: Disconnected from notified D-Bus bus
init:"unity-settings-daemon main process (2076) terminated with status 1"
init: indicator-bluetooth main process (2212) killed by TERM signal
init: indicator-power main process (2214) killed by TERM signal
init: indicator-datetime main process (2215) killed by TERM signal
init: indicator-printers main process (2222) killed by TERM signal
init: indicator-session main process (2245) killed by TERM signal
init: indicator-application main process (2270) killed by TERM signal

Corresponding unity-settings-daemon bug reported in Launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-settings-daemon/+bug/1546641

Would anyone kindly confirm the logout behaviour during bitbake process on
Ubuntu-14.04.5 & Ubuntu-16.04.1 ? Since Yocto 2.2 mentions both
Ubuntu-14.04 & 16.04 as supported distributions this blocker issue must be
resolved at earliest.

Appreciate your Inputs !

Thanks in Advance.
-Srikant