[OE-core] Default value for FULL_OPTIMIZATION

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 06:17:20 UTC 2016

> On Feb 2, 2016, at 12:52 PM, Phil Blundell <pb at pbcl.net> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2016-02-02 at 14:26 +0100, Pascal Bach wrote:
>> I'm not sure if the documentation is wrong or if the default set in bitbake.conf is incorrect.
>> Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.
>
> FULL_OPTIMIZATION in bitbake.conf did use to match what the
> documentation says (or at least, was much closer to it).  It was changed
> to the current value by commit 9cb71137 which apparently omitted to
> update the documentation.

yes thats a gap agreed.

> As an aside, this commit also added "-pipe" to both FULL_OPTIMIZATION
> and DEBUG_OPTIMIZATION, which seems a bit weird since (a) -pipe doesn't
> have any effect on the generated code; and (b) if it's going to enabled
> for both debug and release builds then it might as well go in ${CC} or
> somewhere.  Also, that commit seems to have deliberately turned down the
> level of optimisation somewhat in order to facilitate debugging, which
> is perhaps not what folks who request FULL_OPTIMIZATION would expect.

-pipe does speed up build time so its an optimization. FULL_OPTIMIZATION is not about
code generation only. However, I agree to the fact that if we want to use
it in all combination then it should go into a common global variable which is common
across target/native/nativesdk recipes.