[OE-core] TARGET_CFLAGS for non-target builds

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:03:01 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Although I don't see it on the mailing list, oe-core master now
>> contains the following patch:
>>
>>   http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core/commit/?id=ff2c8af73046f55aa733ce8289b6236c88300290
>>
>> Is this necessary? Aren't TARGET_CFLAGS by definition only used for the target?
>
> when doing native class TARGET_FLAGS are mutated to represent build
> flags but it still is TARGET_FLAGS
> and when you append to it then the flags go into your
> native/cross/nativesdk builds as well. Not something you
> are looking for.

Can you give an example? Looking at native.bbclass it seems to replace
TARGET_CFLAGS with BUILD_CFLAGS, not manipulate it.

(I've had -fstack-protector-strong in SECURITY_CFLAGS in my own distro
for a long time and all the build failures it caused for native
packages have turned out to be bugs in the packages or the recipes).