[OE-core] what is the priority of wildcarded .bbappend files?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Feb 24 23:02:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 22:59:13 Radzykewycz, T wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 2:52 PM, Paul Eggleton said:
> > > >
> > >    wait ... so *all* bbappend files that match a recipe will be applied?
> > >
> > > i'm embarrassed that i didn't know that, is that mentioned in the
> > > documentation somewhere?
> >
> > Surprisingly we don't currently state this explicitly, though it's
> > implied. We should work this into the relevant part of the bitbake manual
> > and the "Using .bbappend Files" section of the dev manual. Scott could
> > you add that to your todo list?
>
> If there is any way to determine the order that the bbappend files
> are included, that would be helpful.  As well as determining what
> order patches will be applied (which is, I suspect, determined
> in part by what order the bbappend files are included)..

bitbake-layers show-appends will give you the former. Patches get applied
strictly in the order they appear in SRC_URI, if you have bbappends that
append or prepend that variable that will of course influence that, but the
final value and hence the order should be visible through bitbake -e recipename
| less and then search for ^SRC_URI (along with history of how the value came
to be).

Cheers,
Paul

--