[OE-core] Getting "menuconfig" to work again?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 1 17:58:11 UTC 2016

Hi Mike,

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 10:18:55 Mike Looijmans wrote:
> On 31-12-15 18:04, Leonardo Sandoval wrote:

> >> Extra info: apparently it spawns a process:
> >>
> >> /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/gnome-terminal --version
> >
> > gnome-terminal is a pain... there are some checks base on the version
> > and based on that certain parameters are set. which g-t version are you
> > using?
>
> $ gnome-terminal --version
> GNOME Terminal 3.14.2
>
> >> If I kill that process, the menuconfig magically appears.
>
> Digging into the source code, I saw that "gnome-terminal --version" is
> only being called to determine if the "--disable-factory" option should
> be passed to it. For some reason, in OE that call "hangs", I suspect
> because of the way the environment and pipes are laid out at that point.
>
> If I just run 'gnome-terminal -t hello --disable-factory -x sh' I don't
> get any errors and it works just fine. To me it looks like the whole
> version check could be removed and always pass "--disable-factory".

Unfortunately that's what we did earlier and it was fine until gnome-terminal
stopped accepting that option. Perhaps it's now a no-op in the version you're
using, I'm not sure; but in 3.10 they made it trigger an error.

It ought not to be too hard to fix the hanging - hopefully someone with a GNOME
desktop installed (not me) can figure out what's happening there.

> Happy New Year!

Same to you! :)

Cheers,
Paul