[OE-core] PV from filename, not reflected in siginfo?

Olof Johansson olof.johansson at axis.com
Mon Jan 18 12:44:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm currently investigating reports of bitbake not correctly
handling a type of change to a recipe, where the only change is a
filename rename to update the PV.

With bitbake-dumpsigs:

 Variable PV value is ${@bb.parse.BBHandler.vars_from_file(d.getVar('FILE', False),d)[1] or '1.0'}
 Variable PN value is ${@bb.parse.BBHandler.vars_from_file(d.getVar('FILE', False),d)[0] or 'defaultpkgname'}

... with nothing containing the resolved value of PV. I would
expect the computed value of PV to be a part of the siginfo. The
consquence of this seems to be that bitbake doesn't schedule
dependents to be rebuilt, i.e. if I rename the recipe
foo_1.2.3.bb to foo_1.2.4.bb, the recipe foo is rebuilt, but the
image isn't.

I tried some changes:

 - Changing the PV assignment in bitbake.conf to :=. Didn't work,
   got errors that I suspect are related to not being able to
   include foo-${PV}.inc files. The value of PV was clobbered.
   Also played around with using BB_FILENAME instead, but didn't
   help.

 - Changes within Bitbake that assigned the version part of the
   filename to PV when loading new files ending with .bb. This
   worked but is really ugly.

 - Moving the PV assignment into the recipe (as an explicit
   assignment). This works, makes dependents build as expected
   and bitbake-dumpsigs lists the value, but is also ugly.

I suspect this isn't usually a problem in OE-Core, since most
recipe updates requires updates within the recipe as well
(tarball checksums, for instance), but that's not as true for our
internal recipes.

Is this a known issue? Any ideas on how to solve this? Nicer
workarounds?

Thanks,
--
olofjn