[OE-core] About pseudo's chmod

Robert Yang liezhi.yang at windriver.com
Tue Jul 5 10:23:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

When run "chmod 0444 <file>" under pseudo, it would always adds
write permission for real file (and w + x for dir), which means that
it runs as "chmod 0644 <file>". It does this on real file, not record
this on pseudo's database. Here are the code from pseudo:

/* Root can read and write files, and enter directories which have no
  * read, write, or execute permissions.  (But can't execute files without
  * execute permissions!)
  *
  * A non-root user can't.
  *
  * When doing anything which actually writes to the filesystem, we add in
  * the user read/write/execute bits.  When storing to the database, though,
  * we mask out any such bits which weren't in the original mode.
  */
#define PSEUDO_FS_MODE(mode, isdir) (((mode) | S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR | ((isdir) ?
S_IXUSR : 0)) & ~(S_IWGRP | S_IWOTH))
#define PSEUDO_DB_MODE(fs_mode, user_mode) (((fs_mode) & ~0722) | ((user_mode &
0722)))

It has a side effect for -dbg pkgs if the source files foo.c's mode is 0444:
1) bitbake foo
2) Edit rpm-native
3) bitbake foo

After the first bitake foo, we will see that foo.c in foo-dbg is 0444, but
after the second bitbake foo, foo.c in foo-dbg will be 0644, because the first
build has changed src file foo.c's mode to 0644, this is incorrect.

I have two suggestions on it:
1) Don't add more permissions when chmod(e.g., don't change 0444 -> 0644),
    The user can add it clearly if a file/dir really needs that.
2) This mainly affects do_package task AFAIK, the code is:
             if not cpath.islink(file):
                 os.link(file, fpath)
                 fstat = cpath.stat(file)
                 os.chmod(fpath, fstat.st_mode)
                 os.chown(fpath, fstat.st_uid, fstat.st_gid)

    Another solution is checking mode before run chmod, if we really need
    run chmod, then copy the file rather than link.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

The following recipes in oe-core have this issue:
blktool
coreutils
e2fsprogs
gnutls