[OE-core] Automatically creating tar files for bin_package.bbclass

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Jul 5 22:20:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, 05 Jul 2016 08:12:14 Khem Raj wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:21 AM, Andre McCurdy <armccurdy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 8:58 AM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com>
wrote:

> >> You *may* be able to use package_tar in the recipe in some way to achieve
> >> this.
> >
> > It only seems to support creating tar files after packages have been
> > split ( ie individual tar files for each subdirectory under
> > ${WORKDIR}/packages-split ). I don't think it's going to be directly
> > useful for creating a tar file of ${D}.
>
> package_tar is just another packaging format here so you will get
> individual package separately
> you might want to add another class to package everything into 1 thats
> a separate issue, you have
> to either add this via a bbclass or additional function

Right. Another thing - you probably want to tar up ${PKGD} rather than ${D};
then you get the result of all of the processing that happens during packaging
(other than the splitting to individual packages) such as debug symbol
stripping.

I think we'd take a patch to have a variable that told package_tar to do this,
it does seem useful in this context.

Cheers,
Paul

--