[OE-core] Future of GCC

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jul 12 22:27:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-12 at 14:34 -0700, akuster808 wrote:

> > > Wouldn't that be dropped iff GCC 7.0 is release? or are you
> > > saying we
> > > should only have one GCC version?
> > >

> > Well, depends on the adoption and migration problems.  I don't
> > think we
> > should carry three versions,
>
> I agree. 3 is too many.
>
>  and ideally one, but two is acceptable to ease
> > migration.
>
> One makes Stable maintenance less costly in time.

I'm personally a fan of one if we can do it. We've taken a bit of an
"easier" path recently but it might be time to change that. Right now
I'm not aware of any of our core usecases which need 5.x, all work with
6.x. I am aware of some BSPs on older kernels which would however have
issues.

I did nearly send a 5.x removal patch but wasn't sure it would be
accepted by people quite yet...