[OE-core] Future of GCC

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:46:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:27:15PM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-07-12 at 14:34 -0700, akuster808 wrote:

> > > Well, depends on the adoption and migration problems.  I don't
> > > think we
> > > should carry three versions,
> >
> > I agree. 3 is too many.
> >
> >  and ideally one, but two is acceptable to ease
> > > migration.
> >
> > One makes Stable maintenance less costly in time.
>
> I'm personally a fan of one if we can do it. We've taken a bit of an
> "easier" path recently but it might be time to change that. Right now
> I'm not aware of any of our core usecases which need 5.x, all work with
> 6.x. I am aware of some BSPs on older kernels which would however have
> issues.

There are many PNBLACKLIST in other layers in recipes which don't even
build with gcc-6 and other which possibly have more issues in runtime.

But I agree that it's easier to officially support just one default gcc
and I'm in favour of removing 5.x from oe-core.

We also used to have gcc 4.3 in meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer which
was removed in:

commit 5a5ec1c0607466d0369170c7a3e25ca92d51ca1c
Author: mike.looijmans at topic.nl <mike.looijmans at topic.nl>
Date:   Thu Oct 8 07:39:20 2015 +0200

    Remove toolchain-layer

If there is enough interest to share the 5.x recipes somewhere, then
people actually using/testing it should do that and I would accept
meta-openembedded patch reviving toolchain-layer with 5.x in it.