[OE-core] why is "run-postinsts" considered a "development" recipe?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 26 14:19:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016, Burton, Ross wrote:

> On 26 July 2016 at 15:03, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>         for the first time, i want to use run-postinsts to run some initial
>       system setup, so i'm assuming i need to add that recipe to my image
>       and the associated files, but i'm curious as to why run-postinsts
>       lives under recipes-devtools. it doesn't strike me as a development
>       tool, so what's the reasoning there? thanks.
>
> For no reason reason other than it's intimately tied to
> dpkg/opkg/rpm, which are also in devtools.

  i'm good with that, and one more (potentially idiotic) question
about run-postinsts. i note in the OE recipe file that it inherits
"update-rc.d", but i'm not sure why.

  AIUI (and i could be totally off-base here), i thought systemd
needed update-rc.d only for backward compatibility for sysvinit-style
services, is that right?

  so while run-postinsts is free to inherit update-rc.d, does that
have any value if one is not using any sysvinit-driven services? or am
i misunderstanding the fundamental functionality of update-rc.d?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca