[OE-core] rebuilding external kernel modules when kernel changed

Pascal Bach pascal.bach at siemens.com
Tue Jun 21 14:36:32 UTC 2016

Hello

I ran into an issue when working with kernel modules that are not part of the kernel source tree.

The issue manifests itself as follows:

1. Build an image containing virtual/kernel and kernel-module-a

2. Do a `bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean`

3. Rebuild the above image again. This causes the kernel do rebuild and it seems that the do_compile task of kernel-module-a is also re-exectued.
But this causes an error as there is some configuration missing in the kernel source directory that is created by module.bbclass:do_make_scripts.
I think that the issue is that the do_make_scripts task is not re-executed prior to the modules do_compile task.

I tried to teach bitbake to execute do_make_scripts too once the kernel was rebuilt, but I didn't find a way.

Any hints how this can be done?

Regards
Pascal