[OE-core] Debugging using sysroots and GDB

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:01:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-02-23 at 15:09 +0100, Pascal Bach wrote:
>> Currently debugging using sysroots seems to work as long as the work
>> folder containing the original source is available.

I am using sysroot for debugging too. I have no

* INHERIT += "rm_work"

and added

INHIBIT_SYSROOT_STRIP = "1"

to my local.conf

I use this approach for very long time now and from my point of view
it has one BIG advantage: I can use these settings for productive
images and start remote debug within seconds without further
rebuilding.
OK - default compiler optimization sometimes causes headaches but it
works for solving >80% of my cases. In case I want to debug software
that I have developed setting optimization recipe wise helps or I
debug that on PC or target itself.

How much time is really saved by stripping sysroot?

Andreas