[OE-core] systemd-serial-getty obsolete?

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Mar 9 10:01:58 UTC 2016

Hello!

systemd-serialgetty.bb was introduced in OE-core together with systemd
1.96 and probably goes back even further (copied from meta-systemd). It
explicitly instantiates serial-getty at .service for serial ports specified
by SERIAL_CONSOLES.

I'm wondering whether that is still needed. systemd also has a generator
[1] that can activate serial-getty based on kernel boot parameters [2].

Is systemd-serialgetty.bb perhaps kept around because the "console"
parameters added to APPEND are (perhaps intentionally) not the same as
SERIAL_CONSOLES?

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-getty-generator.html
[2] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html

--