[OE-core] Problems with perl 5.22

Jens Rehsack rehsack at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:54:48 UTC 2016

> Am 10.03.2016 um 06:13 schrieb Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com>:
>
> I'm working on a package (amanda - the Advanced Maryland Archiving
> system) that is written heavily in perl with swig interfaces to C.
> This code ran great until the update to perl 5.22; it now dies a
> horrible death on almost every activity.  These failures seem to
> always be in the swig generated wrappers, but that may just be
> where most of the work gets done.
>
> I've narrowed this down to exactly the change to perl 5.22 from
> 5.20. Using bisect as well as experimentation (e.g. trying all
> the compiler combinations that have occurred since a last good
> version) and I can go from working to failing by only the change
> in perl.
>
> The interesting (scary) thing is that I've built amanda for my
> target natively on my board running debian, including perl 5.22.
> This means I can't say definitively  that perl 5.22 is the culprit
> as on debian it runs fine.  So, it's got something to do with the
> OE environment/porting/packaging of perl and not just the revision.
>
> I've also tested this on multiple architectures (ARM, PowerPC) with
> the same results - with perl 5.20 amanda works, with perl 5.22 it fails.
>
> I've compared the actual 5.22.1 sources used by OE-core and debian
> and they are subtly different, although I can't pinpoint any change
> that might be responsible.
>
> For the moment, I can just fall back to perl 5.20 for my target
> that needs to run amanda, but this isn't a real solution (e.g.
> in this state I can't propose my recipe to any layer as it's
> totally broken with the current OE-core).  I'd like to see this
> fixed but the amanda code (swig wrappers) are horribly complex
> which makes debugging quite the challenge, not to mention they
> may be about the only way to uncover the bug, whether it's in
> amanda or perl.
>
> Any suggestions on how to move forward?

Since I have no clue what's wrong and how it fails (backtrace
would point in some directions), several ideas might work:

How clean is your build location (we realize that often between
updates some files remain in our target images until we wipe
tmp/ - cleansstate for image doesn't help ...)?

Did you prove the library path's of your *.so's? Perl does
almost everything within libperl.so - build against wrong version
causes in weird crashes (scan DBI mailing list for admin's
build issues of DBI on AIX/HP-UX ...).

Maybe share your recipe can help to reproduce the problem
elsewhere and debug locally.

Cheers
Jens Rehsack - rehsack at gmail.com