[OE-core] X.org licenses

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Mar 16 12:59:11 UTC 2016

On 16 March 2016 at 12:29, Phil Blundell <pb at pbcl.net> wrote:

> This morning it came to my notice that libxdmcp, and a bunch of other
> files (mostly, though not exclusively, in xorg-libs) contain things
> like:
>
> LICENSE = "MIT-style"
>
> It's not very clear to me whether "MIT-style" is meant to mean "an
> unspecified license in the same general style as the MIT one" or whether
> it refers to a single concrete license.  (There is no MIT-style in
> meta/files/common-licenses.)
>
> Does anybody happen to know what the intended meaning of this license
> is?

So the license class has a mapping to let people use a variety of different
strings to mean the same actual license.  For example all the variations of
GPLv2 (GPL-2, GPLv2, GPLv2.0) all map to the SPDX canonical name of GPL-2.0.

Ditto, MIT-style and MIT-X all map to MIT.

Considering xorg-lib-common.inc already sets LICENSE="MIT-X" and these
recipes are overriding that assignment, we should probably remove all
instances of MIT-style from the xorg recipes as they should probably be
MIT-X.

Ross