[OE-core] Aarch64 u-boot with gcc .5x

Stephen Arnold stephen.arnold42 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 20:08:15 UTC 2016

I hit the same thing and ended up using their prebuilt bootloader to
get it up for testing.  There is a big C++ ABI change with gcc 5.x
(I've been using 5.3.0 for a while now) and the gold linker is much
less tolerant of underlinking than bfd is.  That said, their u-boot is
funky but not actually that old, and they also have a blob 1st-stage
that is only provided as a binary.

Their wiki:

http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c2_building_u-boot

says to checkout branch odroidc2-v2015.01 but I didn't dig into the
commit history to see when they last pulled from upstream.  The error
I get with 5.3.0 looks like their u-boot/include/linux stuff is just
way too old for gcc5 (since they're still using a 3.10 kernel fork
probably).  Their build also blows up with gcc-4.8 - can you say
brittle-hard-dep on gcc 4.9?

Steve