[OE-core] moving OpenEmbedded-core to Python 3

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon May 2 21:43:47 UTC 2016

> On May 2, 2016, at 3:14 AM, Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 04/29/2016 11:43 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
>
>> Can you clarify the scope, are you addressing the case where target
>> images would prefer python3
>> and you are making sure that packages that use python on target are
>> ready for using it.
>
> There is no way to set a 'preference' for Python 3. Either version of Python is pulled into images either through dependencies, or explicit inclusion into some package list.
>
> I'm going to move recipes that are dependent on Python 2 to Python 3, whenever possible. I'm not porting the upstream code from Python 2 from Python 3, just configuring the recipes to use Python 3, when the Python code in them has already been ported.

OK, that is a safer bet.

>> bitbake itself is a separate task but then we do write scriptlets that
>> are executed as part of
>> build, are you addressing those too ?
>
> Not sure what you mean here exactly, but if the scriptlets are executed by bitbake, then I'm not addressing that.

I was referring to bitbake itself needs python2 to run but if we have code like classes etc. or external fetchers
with assume python2 since bitbake is python2

>> Thirdly, there is general pythonic code in metadata meant to control
>> build policies
>
> Again, can you provide an example?

Snippets are all around in metadata where we use python snippets inside recipes or configuration metadata. in general we should
be using python3 more, but scoping these changes clearly would help to set the expectations from user point of view.