[OE-core] how can i tell which default kernel config OE started with?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue May 3 13:12:36 UTC 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>
>         (actually, working in wind river linux but i suspect the answer will
>       be the same.)
>
>         i've defined a target board and, rather than supplying a full
>       "defconfig" file as a starting point for kernel configuration, my BSP
>       layer starts by applying a "kernel_baseline.cfg" file which contains
>       only a couple hundred settings that i am particularly interested in.
>
>         so, given that, how can i tell what OE chose as a starting point for
>       a .config file before beginning to apply my kernel config fragments?
>       i'm poking around in the log files of the build, but i can't seem to
>       see where the "configme" process selects a starting point. am i just
>       missing the obvious? i want to see the .config file *before* any of my
>       fragments are applied.
>

> If you haven't specified a defconfig (in-tree, or in your layer),
> and are only using fragments, then it will be the first fragment.
> There's no logic to go out and find a baseline, since it would
> almost always not be what someone wanted.

  ok, i'm going to ask a few follow-up questions since i clearly don't
totally understand the full kernel configuration process.

  i have a BSP layer for a target board that first specifies a
"kernel_baseline.cfg" fragment file which contains just those kernel
config settings i want to make sure are set, and that file is just
over 200 lines long. i also drag in a few other *very* short .cfg
files. but in the end, the .config file generated under
.../linux-windriver/4.1-r0/linux-cxii-standard-build/ is almost 2,200
lines long. where did all that extra content come from?

  i'm assuming (and i could be wrong here) that since i'm using the
line:

TARGET_SUPPORTED_KTYPES = "standard"

i'm automatically incorporating "standard"-related content under
.../kernel-meta/ktypes/standard? as in, the files:

  * standard.cfg
  * standard.scc

or am i mistaken? from where comes all that additional content that
ends up in the final .config?  is there a record of it in a log file
somewhere?

  couple more kernel config-related questions coming shortly ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca