[OE-core] clarifying details about "is not set" lines in kernel config fragment files

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:13:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

>   one more question about fragments which i'm fairly sure i know the
> answer to, but will be embarrassed about if i'm wrong.
>
>   if i want to set a kernel option in a fragment, i'm fairly certain i
> need to *explicitly* set all options it depends on, correct?
> otherwise, that option is left unselected.

Correct.

>   is there any warning in a log file that mentions that happening?

The kconfig audit will indicate that the value didn't make it into the
final .config, and
if the option has been tagged "hardware", then that warning is dumped to
the screen
for the developer to see.

More audit information is available within the kernel build itself, and
IIRC that is
covered in the more detailed guides.

Right now, it can't tell you what was missing .. but there's no a library
that I can
potentially use to get that information, and I've raised an enhancement bug
for 2.2
to not only output why an option didn't make they final .config .. but why
it was
dropped.

> rday
>
> p.s. oh, and i think someone mentioned this earlier ... what happens
> if i explicitly set one option, then explicitly "not set" another
> option that is "select"ed by that first option? who wins?

Last through the gate. Ordering matters. But the "redefinition" of the value
is logged in the audit output

Bruce

>   ok, back to work ...
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"