[OE-core] Wic and "live" images

Ian Geiser geiseri at geekcentral.pub
Tue May 31 15:24:52 UTC 2016

 ---- On Tue, 24 May 2016 15:56:39 -0400 Christopher Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote ----

 > On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 12:51 PM, Ed Bartosh <ed.bartosh at linux.intel.com> wrote:
 >
 > The thing is, it's likely the machine/bsp setting the WKS_FILE, yet in OE/yocto we prefer machine/distro/image to be orthogonal. If you're injecting machine specific logic into an image, that image isn't going to be generally useful for all machines, and so violates our philosophy.

Isn't the physical disk image the place that machine/distro/image all intersect though?  Maybe this is some philosophy I have always not gotten because it seems every time I make an image for a machine I am fighting the current.  Really I think at the core what I want is a partition layout that I can put a payload in.  wic seems exactly that, but I am not sure how to get from my rootfs, initramfs and kernel to there.  Thanks!