[OE-core] "Can't install perl-soap-lite-1.20-r0 at all: no package provides /bin/env" ??

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Nov 6 11:28:35 UTC 2016

  currently writing my first batch of perl recipes, fairly mindlessly
plagiarizing from existing recipes, first bunch worked fine, then i
whipped together a recipe for SOAP::Lite from here:

  https://metacpan.org/pod/SOAP::Lite

built fine, but when i tried to add the perl-soap-lite-1.20-r0.all.rpm
to my core-image-minimal build, i got:

  Computing transaction...error: Can't install \
    perl-soap-lite-1.20-r0 at all: no package provides /bin/env

sure enough, that rpm has that dependency:

  $ rpm -qpR perl-soap-lite-1.20-r0.all.rpm
  /bin/env
  /usr/bin/env
  perl
  $

and when i fire up my "qemuppc" session for that core-image-minimal
image, there is indeed no /bin/env file (hence the error), but there
is:

  /usr/bin/env -> /bin/busybox.nosuid

so ... what is the proper solution for this? i suspect i'm going to
run into this issue again in upcoming recipes, so i'd love to resolve
it in a minimally hacky way.

rday

p.s. now that i think about it, why would a package have a dependency
on *both* /bin/env and /usr/bin/env? isn't that sort of redundant?

p.p.s. i searched for the phrase "no package provides /bin/env" as a
first attempt, and i weirdly got this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22no+package+provides+/bin/env%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=jBMfWJ20JIfZjwTKzarIBg

never heard of that website before, and no other matches. seems a bit
odd.

                        http://crashcourse.ca