[OE-core] Creating 'wic' image

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Mon Nov 14 15:23:01 UTC 2016

In order to make life easier for people, I was looking into creating images
with the "wic" tool.

There's just one big piece of documentation lacking: What's the format it
wants my rootfs and boot files?
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.2/mega-manual/mega-manual.html

Basically I want an SD card with a FAT boot partition and an ext4 rootfs, and
"sdimage-bootpart" is pretty close to that.

Without "wic", I build a tar of the rootfs and copy the boot files using a bit
of shell scripting.

Adding "wic" to IMAGE_FSTYPES just results in an error that I should set
WKS_FILE but I have no clue as to what file that should point to.

Running wic manually just results in more missing variables that I can't find
what to specify in them...

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert