[OE-core] Enabling uninative by default in oe-core?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Nov 17 17:31:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

Background: uninative is a class that downloads a precompiled host glibc
for use in the sysroot, thus isolating the native sysroot from the host
environment.  This means greater sstate reuse, as instead of native builds
being dependent on the host system they're able to be shared between all
hosts.  There is a reference tarball hosted on www.yoctoproject.org, and
the URL can be overridden by distros if you would prefer to build your own.

We enable this in Poky so that we get greater reuse on the autobuilders,
and due to some issues with the C++ ABI the eSDK generation in master now
requires uninative to be enabled.  The question is: do we now enable
uninative by default in oe-core's nodistro (pointing at the yoctoproject
tarball), or do we keep it disabled by default and require the user to
enable uninative if they wish to build an eSDK?

Personally I'm torn: I don't like eSDK not working out of the box, but I
don't really like oe-core nodistro depending on uninative.  Though enabling
uninative globally does mean everything works out of the box, so following
the principle of Least Surprise that's what we should do.

Ross