[OE-core] Enabling uninative by default in oe-core?

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Thu Nov 17 18:56:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Background: uninative is a class that downloads a precompiled host glibc for
>> use in the sysroot, thus isolating the native sysroot from the host
>> environment.  This means greater sstate reuse, as instead of native builds
>> being dependent on the host system they're able to be shared between all
>> hosts.  There is a reference tarball hosted on www.yoctoproject.org
>> <http://www.yoctoproject.org>, and the URL can be overridden by distros if you
>> would prefer to build your own.
>>
>> We enable this in Poky so that we get greater reuse on the autobuilders, and
>> due to some issues with the C++ ABI the eSDK generation in master now requires
>> uninative to be enabled.  The question is: do we now enable uninative by
>> default in oe-core's nodistro (pointing at the yoctoproject tarball), or do we
>> keep it disabled by default and require the user to enable uninative if they
>> wish to build an eSDK?
>>
>> Personally I'm torn: I don't like eSDK not working out of the box, but I don't
>> really like oe-core nodistro depending on uninative.  Though enabling
>> uninative globally does mean everything works out of the box, so following the
>> principle of Least Surprise that's what we should do.
>
> If we are supporing e-SDK in OE-Core then we should enable uninative too
> on the same lines.
>
> It does improve the user experience so I am in favor of adding it
> unconditionally. May be tarball can be hosted on oe mirrors as well for
> redundancy

I am not sure how people would care about that (yet ;-) but uninative
does not work for arm64 (host).

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.32.0"
BUILD_SYS         = "aarch64-linux"
NATIVELSBSTRING   = "Debian-8.6"
TARGET_SYS        = "arm-oe-linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE           = "qemuarm"
DISTRO            = "nodistro"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "nodistro.0"
TUNE_FEATURES     = "arm armv5 thumb dsp"
TARGET_FPU        = "soft"
meta              = "master:9303d8055c45a0f6af295d70a6f6a8b9d8d8a7c9"

ERROR: Uninative selected but not configured correctly, please set
UNINATIVE_CHECKSUM[aarch64]

I don't know much about it, but it would be nice to fix that before we
enable it by default. I will try to have a look at it more closely..