[OE-core] Contents of non-rootfs partitions

Ulrich Ölmann u.oelmann at pengutronix.de
Thu Nov 24 06:15:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 04:56:56PM +0100, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 15:22 +0200, Ed Bartosh wrote:

> > > Looks good. The only thing I would question is that, in the interest of
> > > reducing redundancy, maybe we should omit --exclude-dirs and have wic
> > > figure this out by combining all the entries, since "--exclude-dirs
> > > <dir>" and the corresponding "part <dir>" will almost always come in
> > > pairs. Possibly we could mark the "/" partition with one single
> > > --no-overlapping-dirs to force wic to make this consideration. Or do you
> > > think that's too magical?
> > >
> > Tt's quite implicit from my point of view. However, if people like it we
> > can implement it this way.
>
> I prefer the explicit --exclude-dirs. It's less surprising and perhaps
> there are usages for having the same content in different partitions
> (redundancy, factory reset, etc.).
>
> Excluding only the directory content but not the actual directory is
> indeed a good point. I'm a bit undecided. When excluding only the
> directory content, there's no way of building a rootfs without that
> mount point, if that's desired. OTOH, when excluding also the directory,
> the data would have to be staged under a different path in the rootfs
> and the mount point would have to be a separate, empty directory.
>
> I'm leaning towards excluding the directory content and keeping the
> directory.

what about having both possibilities by leaning against the syntax that rsync
uses to specify if a whole source directory or only it's contents shall be
synced to some destination site (see [1])?

In analogy to this to exclude only the contents of the directory named 'data'
you would use

  --exclude-dirs data/

but to additionally exclude the dir itself as well it would read

  --exclude-dirs data

Best regards
Ulrich

[1] http://man.cx/rsync(1)#heading6