[OE-core] Kernel: Builds use old version of defconfig

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Thu Nov 24 10:10:02 UTC 2016

I'm currently experiencing a problem with "defconfig" files and the kernel.

In short, when I make a change to the "defconfig" file, the kernel is rebuilt
(which is correct), but the resulting kernel has been built using the old
defconfig from a previous build, instead of the new one.

The kernel recipe just contains "file://defconfig" in its SRC_URI. The
defconfig file is in the project's overlay.

For example, I have a kernel with "CONFIG_DEVMEM" disabled:

# gunzip < /proc/config.gz | grep DEVMEM
# CONFIG_DEVMEM is not set

Now, I change the defconfig to contain CONFIG_DEVMEM=y and build the image.
The result:

# gunzip < /proc/config.gz | grep DEVMEM
# CONFIG_DEVMEM is not set

So the change did not make it into the actual kernel, even though the kernel
was rebuild as a result of the change.

I run "bitbake -c cleansstate virtual/kernel" and build the image again:

# gunzip < /proc/config.gz | grep DEVMEM
CONFIG_DEVMEM=y

After cleaning, the result is correct and the new defconfig is active.

I'm trying to figure out how this can happen, any help is welcome...

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Products