[OE-core] meta-perl vs meta-cpan: [lib]module-build-perl-native

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Nov 25 09:28:24 UTC 2016

  about to go back and try to follow that thread about OE and perl
modules, but one question about quick and dirty workarounds ... i just
ran into the (inevitable) situation where the "standard" OE layers and
meta-cpan have different naming conventions for modules, as in:

  meta-perl:	DEPENDS += "libmodule-build-perl-native
  meta-cpan:	DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"

which finally bit me when i wanted to add to an image the one (the
*only* one) meta-perl recipe that contains:

$ grep -r "module-build-perl-native" *
meta-perl/recipes-perl/libhtml/libhtml-tree-perl_5.03.bb:DEPENDS += "libmodule-build-perl-native \
$

which clashed trying to install files into a shared area when those
files already exist, given that numerous recipes from meta-cpan
already contain:

  $ grep -hr "module-build-perl-native" *
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  DEPENDS += "module-build-perl-native"
  $

i'm actually surprised there is just the one recipe that eventually
got me into trouble, and while i understand there's a long-term plan
to standardize this, what is the best short-term hack to get around
this? reproduce the recipe? .bbappend and override DEPENDS? blacklist
the one from meta-cpan and replace it?

  and in the long term, unless there's a common naming convention, how
can meta-cpan be listed as an OE layer at
https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca