[OE-core] mount bindir confusion

Jack Mitchell ml at embed.me.uk
Fri Nov 25 13:32:21 UTC 2016

Does anyone have any input on where mount.* utils should be placed in
the filesystem. I have the following binaries installed

mount: /usr/sbin/mount.exfat /usr/sbin/mount.exfat-fuse
/bin/mount.util-linux /bin/mount /sbin/mount.fuse /sbin/mount.exfat
/sbin/mount.cifs

Due to some being in /usr/sbin and /sbin the mount utility can't find
the extensions when you try to call it in the following manner:

mount -t exfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

So, what would be the preferable solution? Move mount to a different
location, move the other mount helpers to where mount is, or create
symlinks for the helpers to where mount is?

In ArchLinux which I'm currently using at install time everything from
util-linux in /bin /sbin is moved to the /usr/bin /usr/sbin. Is this the
way forward as I've heard some talk before of a merged /usr.

Cheers,
Jack.