[OE-core] [bitbake-devel] Not building python socketmodule.c with openssl 1.0.2h

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Oct 5 14:44:38 UTC 2016

On 10/5/16 8:57 AM, Jeff Hatch wrote:
> I am seeing an issue where we upgraded the openssl bitbake recipes to build and
> install openssl 1.0.2h in a higher layer than the base openembedded layer which
> was building openssl 1.0.1m.  After this was done, the build of python 2.7.3
> stopped building the socketmodule.c and ssl was not integrated into python.  For
> example, the httplib object no longer has a reference for the HTTPSConnection
> object.  I have spent some time digging around and cannot find anything that
> makes sense as to why this is happening.  Is there anyone that has enough Python
> knowledge to know what might be causing this, or has run into this already and
> fixed it?
>
> We are a little behind on Yocto (Daisy), but I don't know that that should be a
> problem.

This question should go to the "openembedded-core at lists.openembedded.org"
mailing list, or a list specific to the layers.  (I have CC'd this list.)

Unfortunately I am not surprised by this.  Daisy is quite old at this point.  It
was released in April of 2014.  OpenSSL 1.0.2 was not released until January
2015.  I doubt that the system, nor python 2.7.3 (as integrated) has any idea
that version 1.0.2 exists.

You will likely need to look at backporting support from a newer version of
python to support the 1.0.2 API.

--Mark