[OE-core] rpm: Recover RPM4 to OE-core

Fan Xin fan.xin at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Oct 7 09:52:50 UTC 2016

Hi Maciej,

> BTW. do you recall the rationale behind abandoning zypper in 1.4? I'm
> curious about the motivation for using smart given its Python
> dependency.

The reason to drop Zypper is Zypper has too much components and brings
huge potential support issues described in [1].

The maintainer of Yum is actively hostile toward RPM5. This is the
reason why YP do not select YUM.

In [2], Smart is small and compact. And dependency of smart is small
(python and rpm).

The dnf forks from Yum and dependent of hawkey, librepo, libcomps,
libsolv. If according to the same raionale, smart is still the proper
choice.

The relationship is complicated among rpm4, rpm5, dnf, yum, smart and
OE-core. And thing is changing makes it harder to figure out this issue.

Best Regards,

Fan

[1] https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2012-October/010384.html
[2]