[OE-core] rpm: Recover RPM4 to OE-core

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Oct 7 15:52:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-10-07 at 09:20 +0200, Maciej Borzęcki wrote:
> BTW. do you recall the rationale behind abandoning zypper in 1.4? I'm
> curious about the motivation for using smart given its Python
> dependency.

zypper didn't cross compile easily and had a fairly nasty dependency
chain if I remember rightly including things like boost. We had quite
an extensive patchset against it and libzypp which could never be
upstreamed:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=fcdc8d7f6d10b3abf9
f6a28cff55b1cc89b88bc9

zypper was also hostile to rpm5 if I remember rightly.

Switching to something python based was much lower overhead on the
system compared to C++ and boost.