[OE-core] Commit messages

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 10 00:35:22 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

I've been going through the commits in preparation for our release notes, and
unfortunately what I'm seeing is that the number of empty or incomplete commit
messages has noticeably increased over previous releases. Commit messages are
vitally important to providing a readable history, not just in support of
preparing release notes, but also if you're trying to track down a regression
or any other reason you might want to go back and find out what has been done
and most importantly *why*.

Here are our commit message guidelines, which have been in place for some
time:

  http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines

I know everyone's busy, but please take 5 minutes to read these if you haven't
recently and try to keep them in mind when writing commit messages. No commit
is too trivial for a complete commit message.

Thanks,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton