[OE-core] most efficient way to map perl RH rpms to OE package names?

Tim Orling ticotimo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 03:20:58 UTC 2016

Robert,

You did not mention meta-perl:
http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-perl/recipes-perl

The perl modules in meta-perl follow Debian naming:
https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/?q=perl

When Jens developed meta-cpan, he was trying to improve the packaging of
perl modules, but did not necessarily follow the "established guidelines"
for OE perl module naming (which was the meta-perl layer at the time). What
he did provide is a method to use the CPAN metadata to create OE perl
modules.

The perl packaging in OE-Core follows yet another pattern. I assume it grew
out of a need to not package all the modules in a monolithic "perl-modules"
package (like Debian does) for our embedded-specific usage.

Not an ideal situation, but we have similar issues with python modules.

Cheers.

--Tim