[OE-core] how to add new perl modules to stock OE build?

Olof Johansson olof.johansson at axis.com
Thu Oct 27 13:26:20 UTC 2016

On 16-10-27 08:46 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   ack ... never mind, i see my fundamental misunderstanding. i thought
> all of the recipes being processed via the "perl-modules" package were
> being (if necessary) downloaded from CPAN, or something like that,
> then turned into installable rpms. i didn't look closely enough into
> the perl source to see that all the modules listed in
> "perl-rdepends_5.22.1.inc" are already in the perl source tree.
>
>   so i'm back to my original question -- what is the proper way to add
> arbitrary perl modules to an image? if someone has a simple example of
> how it's done, that'd be great. as proof-of-concept, i'd like to add
> the Text::Template module to my "qemuppc" target.
>
>   thoughts? sorry for all the earlier noise, i thought i had it
> figured out but ... no.

Hi,

Take a look at meta-perl in the meta-openembedded repository. It
contains a lot of recipes for Perl modules (Text::Template isn't
one of them though).

The cpan class in oe-core knows how to build Makefile.PL
(ExtUtils::MakeMaker) based perl modules (like Text::Template),
and cpan_build knows how to handle Build.PL (Module::Build) based
perl modules.

Note also the naming convention of perl-module-foo is used by
core modules (those shipped with perl itself); the convention
used for third party cpan modules is "libfoo-perl", e.g.
libtext-template-perl.

Hope this helps,
--
olofjn