[OE-core] should a "*git.bb" recipe lock that recipe to a fixed version?

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Sun Oct 30 17:16:07 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

>   not sure if i should have noticed this before, but i was building a
> number of python modules, and my collection of layers gave me two
> possibilities for python-django:
>
>   * python-django_git.bb      (meta-openstack)
>   * python-django_1.9.7.bb    (meta-python)
>
>   i simply assumed that any "git"-versioned recipe would typically
> take precedence over a fixed version recipe, so i was surprised to see
> that what was built was python-django-1.8.6. huh?
>
>   then i looked at the recipe from meta-openstack, and it contained
> the lines:
>
>   PV = "1.8.6"
>   SRCREV = "80b7e9d09f2d23209b591288f9b2cf3eb3d927c8"
>
>   SRC_URI = " \
>       git://github.com/django/django.git;branch=stable/1.8.x \
>       "
>
> am i right in being a bit confused by that? i checked out the github
> repo, and it has branches "stable/1.8.x", and also "stable/1.9.x" and
> "stable/1.10.x". so what is that supposed to mean?
>
>   am i right in assuming that a "git" recipe will (in the absence of
> any PREFERRED_VERSION settings or other overriding settings) always be
> considered before a fixed version recipe? and is that why i got this
> (for me) unexpected result?

Bitbake selects default versions via DEFAULT_VERSION, PREFERRED_VERSION,
and lacking both, a naïve version comparison. There’s nothing magic to
select or not select an _git recipe.

It’s been a very common pattern for the _git recipe to be the development
version / branch HEAD, to be used only when explicitly selected, whereas
the versioned recipes are stable and versioned, so are appropriate
defaults. That said, there are also _git recipes that set specific
versions, and version recipes that use git to fetch that version. There’s a
lack of consistency in that regard, but what you were surprised by has
basically been the expected, default convention in the past, not the
exception.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com