[OE-core] CVE-2016-3116: dropbear: X11 forwarding input not validated properly

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Wed Sep 14 09:58:43 UTC 2016

On 09/14/2016 12:43 PM, Richard Purdie wrote:

>> That said, I vote for updating to the version that comes with the
>> fix.
>> Backporting fixes should not be the default in the stable yocto
>> releases; we should trust the upstream more.
>
> Taking that argument to the extreme, we should update all versions in
> the "stable" release to the latest to ensure we get all the fixes. At
> that point, it becomes no different to master and its not the
> definition of "stable" which most people want to use.

But I'm not making this argument at all. What I'm saying, is that master
branch and stable branches are two different extremes with their own
problems (one is moving too fast, the other is conservative to a fault),
and we should try to find a sensible middle ground between them.

> In this case, its a question of what else changed in dropbear between
> these versions. Were there a ton of new features or was it just
> bugfixes? How much risk of other problems is there?

In this case, the only difference between 2015.71 and 2016.72 is indeed
the CVE fix commit:
https://secure.ucc.asn.au/hg/dropbear/graph

(you need to scroll down some to see it in the graph).

Alex